On my walk tonight I passed this billboard and it made me stop. It wasn't that long ago after the film "Super size me" that this burger place introduced salads and healthier eating. This seems the extreme to that. I used to like a burger, not so much now, but how the hell do you get your mouth around that? And to be fair it's not just this fast food joint. It seems no one can do a normal burger now. They are so big some of them that they need a cocktail stick through them to keep them together. I don't see the appeal myself.
Mind you living in a country where you can get a large pork sausage wrapped in donner meat and then deep fried I shouldnt be too concerned with the health implications of the billboard. Strangely as I typed that someone on the radio was talking about a toasted creme egg sandwich-eh? Off on a tangent here but I have started a file to note coincidences as I keep finding them of late so may post about them.
Back to Burgers. I used to like a burger as I said. I liked them for what they were but also for the ease you could make and eat them. The current burger trend seems to be to sit down, pull it apart and eat it piece by piece. Again not appealing to me.
What I did want to say was that it annoys me how this is OK but cigarette packets for years have had to carry horrible imagery. I feel I can say this now as an ex smoker. I hated it but would have accepted it if it was across the board. I am not sticking up for nicotine of course as it is a killer and should carry warnings but in my view so should that. A cigarette packet used to carry images of a diseased heart, why does that not have the same?

No comments:
Post a Comment