Sunday, 22 November 2020

147 Christmas already?

 




" Christmas already? "

Forgive me but I really am in "bah humbug" mood. Everything at the moment seems to be irritating me. Things that would normally wash over me are making me angry. If circumstances were different then I would think differently but they are not. They are not different for me and not different for a lot of people.

We usually have the radio on in the morning and my wife insists on listening to Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden. Normally it grates. It grated more when one started using the job they are paid to do to self promote their own produce. I digress. What has tipped me over the edge is the latest insistence on bringing Christmas forward. I hear that we deserve it because it's been such a tough year. They want Christmas songs and decorations now. Maybe it's just me but I don't feel it. I have no wish to put up my tree in November. I will punch a wall if I hear Slade or Roy Wood before December.

It's not just me though. I have no appetite for Christmas. For me Christmas is more woe, more worry and impending disappointment followed by a sense of worthlessness. That is just me. But am I alone? I'm thinking of all those people who have lost their jobs due to covid and face an immediate financial crisis. I am thinking about people who have built up their businesses for years by hard work and long hours and sacrifice now watching them disappear virtually overnight. And of course I am thinking of all those people who have lost loved ones in this period. People continue to fill wards. People continue to be forced apart. Most live still with uncertainty. But let's all bring Christmas forward early anyway.

If I sound like Scrooge then I'm giving the right impression. When I walk alone it's dark this tine if year and so many have decorations up. I'm considering dressing up as the Easter bunny as a way of joining in. Our town tree is erected and lit already. Next week it's still November. Where is the rush? Why are people so impatient? I can't help thinking in a months time people will have Christmas burn out and still have many weeks to wait.

I think I need to change the station. 

No comments: