I was dreading fireworks night because of the dog. He didn't seem to mind strangely. Maybe he's used to it. The damned things have been going off for a week anyway. He seemed fascinated. Last year I just kept the windows closed to buffle sound but they are so loud now it's impossible to mute them. It didn't bother him though. He watched on enquiringly. Indoors that was at least. A later walk was very different. He was scared witless and so I cut it short.
I do think some of these over the counter fireworks are getting a bit too heavy duty. I do like the idea of keeping them to an organised event, outside of this pandemic, but that is also hypocritical given how I enjoyed a small selection out the back with the kids when they were younger. Very much small fry though. Having something that looks like it should have ACME written on the side fly by the window can be scary. A boom that almost shatters the window is alarming. I get the feeling there is a bit of one upmanship about it all. Then again I do have to say it's only since owning a pet I have thought that way.
It's a strange night. It's a bizarre sort of thing because although people are isolating and distancing the celestial displays cannot stay personal. They are there for all too see. Whether you are in your garden with neighbours or alone at a window there is still a shared experience. A bit too loud for my liking to be honest. I just like the visuals. I think the dog does too.

No comments:
Post a Comment