Saturday, 21 November 2020

146 WiFi

 




" WiFi "

I keep hearing about how rural area need better WiFi. I won't disagree but do feel some of the rest of us are being overlooked. Our broadband is really poor and it's getting us all down because in lockdown it really kicked in with 5 people stuck at home sharing the same weak connection. More so for the kids who cannot do without it. The boy plays games with his pals and the girls live in social media. Unhealthy I suppose but I think it's a generational thing.

I've tried to explain its not about money. The kids think we should dig deeper or change providers. It's not that. We have a line that runs from our home to a telegraph pole and from there to the exchange. The crazy thing is I could actually throw the router and hit the exchange it is that close yet someone miles away has a superfast connection while we stutter along. Its because it was a temporary install- 25 years ago. And that was fine for voice calls. It was even fine when the kids were little a decade ago. But now it's not. Now it's slow when it hasn't ground to a halt. Some digital TV channels are too blocky to watch. Downloading something that takes others a few hours takes us a few days. And to top it all off if anyone of us uploads a photo or sends an email or dares upload anything the whole lot crashes down. It's immensely frustrating.

But it's just another problem to add to the list at the minute. Something for later. Without doubt though it's made lockdown so much harder for the kids. I just keep getting this feeling of I justice. It's something else that everyone else seems to be getting that we are not despite paying the same. As long as I say nothing though what do i expect? More action is required. Just not today. 

No comments: