Thursday, 12 November 2020

137 23 years

 



" 23 years "

Its been a long time coming but next year should the Euro 20, yes that is 20, football final go ahead then Scotland will be there. It will be the first time at a major final for 23 years and I should know because I was there. And that was strange in reflection back in 1998 because it was not unique. It was very much par for the course getting to a major international football final for Scotland at that time. Scotland in fact at that time had qualified more times than any of the other home nations - even if they were poor everytime they arrived. We expected more. That was my first time and I had no idea it would be my last.

For twenty somethings this is completely new and thirty somethings at the bottom end may struggle to remember that last time. I meanwhile remember going to Paris by coach for the opening game against Brazil. I remember the long overnight train alone down to Bordeaux for the game against Norway. For the ultimate humiliation against Morocco in St Etienne I was thankfully back in Scotland hoping for my next trip. What I remember most is the joy. It was one big party. And where club football is divisive in the UK the national team brings unity. Its a treat to celebrate with friends you would normally be falling out with. I hoped for more but not to be. Hopefully some other 27 year old will have many more to come. 

I don't usually talk football and certainly not politics but it's unavoidable here. What I found strange at that time was the general disinterest from the French public at the time concerning their national team. A lot of that did come down to the team being seen to be mainly immigrants. But I think that team going on to win the Cup at home went a long way to changing that perception which was the main positive. Still though I could not understand it because no matter who played for Scotland I would have supported them. Now for me that has become tainted. This qualification has not brought the full on joy it should. Having seen how the success of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth games was used at a saltire waving vehicle to push an independence referendum I fear the same again. Maybe more so this time given England and Scotland will meet at Wembley next year. I just hope any political advances to hijack that feel good factor are spurned. So any celebrations tonight are tinged by that doubt. 


No comments: