Thursday, 18 March 2021

263 Finders keepers

 



" Finders keepers "

On the balance of things maybe the universe is paying us back some in installments for doing the right thing even if it has not always been afforded to us. My wife had the dog out before school on Tuesday and found a five pound note over the road. No chance of finding the owner. Today I was near the same spot and found a ten pound note. Same story. If there was some way of finding the owner then I would of course return it but there is not. I do think its a little payback.

In recent years I can think of many instances where we have done someone a good turn at no benefit to ourselves other than the good feeling you get from helping someone. Even something as small as taking in those shoes the other week which we could have feigned all knowledge of. Weeks before that I found a boy's phone while shopping left outside, handed it into the shop and then by chance we stumbled into the boy later which was even more strange. I'd found the phone next to a dog tied up outside the doors of B&M. A staff member right there. Yet after handing it in they didn't give it to him. We'd gone home and unusually for my wife she came out with me to walk the dog around the block. It was she who recognised the dog from outside the shop and a distressed looking boy so went over and explained to the young lad who was very grateful to return to the shop. We found a new iPhone outside Sainsburys which we handed in. I found a phone and house key which we were able to return. My wife found a phone around the back we returned and out walking the dog we found a bank card we returned. And so many more. The beauty of being connected is that these things can be done.

Nothing in return but we were not looking for anything other than the same respect. That was missing when one day I dropped a tenner in ASDA and could not find it, it wasn't handed in. Likewise my good hat fell out my pocket in there and despite it being near empty I never got it back. I was raging because I noticed quickly and retraced quicker so some thieving sod was aware yet pocketed it. Those incidents though would not stop us helping someone out again but can make you question things. I had to chase someone last year who stole solar lights from outside our door and disturbed someone another night stealing the couple of plants we had planted. £15 doesn't cover it but it's material I suppose. 

No comments: