Wednesday, 24 March 2021

A year in the wilderness

  




Is it a year already since the PM announced that the country would go into lockdown? It is. To me though it feels a lot longer. I am not sure why but it does. It feels like a lifetime ago that people were clapping for the NHS on their doorsteps. Those nights I walked through deserted streets with the dog feeling like the lone wanderer from the "Fallout" series feel even more distant. So much so that it is all a little foggy. I remember the chill when walking down the park and seeing the kids play area taped off like a crime scene with covid warnings not to touch. Again though it feels more than a year ago. And still a year from now we cannot say for sure where we will be as the likes of France and Italy extend their lockdown while bracing for a possible 3rd wave on the continent.

Yesterday the land fell silent for a minute to remember the near one hundred and fifty thousand lives that have been lost since the start of the pandemic. That figure unfortunately continues to grow. And at night people are asked to hold a light vigil from their doorstep to mark the loss on what has been called a "day of reflection". We should reflect of course but its also difficult when this episode is still ongoing and its end uncertain. One day it will be over I am sure and that is when I think as a nation we can truly reflect. 

No comments: