I do detest the faceless criminals hiding behind their keyboards looking for something for nothing but thankfully I have at least had few causes for concerns. And when my bank account was dry it was not a problem. It was only when I had savings at one point that I was robbed virtually but again that was a long time ago. Having some money coming in now has made me paranoid. I've not used my bank card outside because I fear a hack just as happened to my wife last year
I don't get "contactless". We have spent years trying to add more layers of security and then something comes along where you need no security at all. That confuses me. I could find someone's card in a shop and without knowing the pin code can use that card contactlessly at a checkout to buy shopping. I can't remember the limit but because of covid it was raised. That makes no sense to me. Its got me paranoid to the point I was considering opening up another bank account just for shopping and just transfer money online as needed. That though means accessing online more frequently which in my head means more chance of a hack. You can't win!
This all came to mind because I got up today to find many red letter alerts from Google on my phone. To me it was rather sinister. It wasn't something vague about updating security or about a possible breech. It was a message telling me in no uncertain terms that "someone knows your password". That felt very personal. Someone knowing that cannot harm me financially like they could if it was my bank but they can invade privacy. I think of someone sitting looking through pictures of the kids and the like. Can't be helped. Password changed now and all secure again- until next time. There is though a feeling of vulnerability there now as I am sure other people are feeling and that can lead to the paranoia I feel too. I don't like it but we have no choice. There is no other way it today's world unfortunately

No comments:
Post a Comment