My wife had to go to the chemist today so I walked the dog with her to get some fresh air. It was a lovely day. As we approached I kept my distance as there is a limit to 3 people allowed in so invariably a little queue outside. The dog barked enough from over the road so getting closer would have been no fun for anyone. To pass the time I looked about. I'm not one for standing looking into a phone for stimulus. When out I prefer to take it all in.
My attention was grabbed by a big tree in a garden. I knew it to be a Monkey puzzle tree. I don't know about trees but I'd read about this years ago in a local article. There are actually a number of them in town. After reading about them I seemed to notice more and more. The origins of the name? Apparently it came from an observation by someone that a monkey would find the tree a puzzle to climb owing to its strange shape. It is a thing of interest. It sticks out, it looks foreign and yet most would walk past it without noticing it due to having their faces caught in the glare of a social media screen. It is apparently the national tree of Chile and native to South America. Its a wonder as to how it firstly ended up here and secondly seems to thrive. It does look like something from another land.

No comments:
Post a Comment