Wednesday, 17 March 2021

262 Superfast

 



" Superfast "

Call me cynical but when something you have desired for the year you needed it most was absent then suddenly appears in a promise 2 months before an election then I am prone to probe further. And right I was. A year of lockdown for the kids especially was not helped by a poor broadband setup. I'm not talking social media here but even just watching a film on Netflix was usually interrupted by long pauses and home schooling could be frustrating. It is shocking really. So a card through the door from the government with a pledge to provide 100% coverage in Scotland for Superfast broadband by the end of this year was music to our ears. It wouldn't get my vote but would get my thanks.

But then I was jumping the gun of course getting my hopes up briefly before the cynicism waded in. As seen above there is an address to access and find out exactly when your home would be hooked up. I did and was fuming to read possibly 2023. Outraged even. It was all a stunt. A stunt aimed at lazy people who would read they were getting faster Internet free guaranteed (100% coverage) and would accept that without further query. Then after they vote in May and wait for that fast connection that never comes. Of course for lots of people it will come but not 100% of us. There is some guff about vouchers and the like, sticky plasters, but I'm not interested. 

No comments: