There are so many online streaming services at the moment it is hard to keep up. Among it all its easy to forget that the BBC has a lot of free content too- for licence payers at least. Having a love of adventures at sea whether it be a Wilbur Smith trilogy or my favourite read "Sea wolf" by Jack London I am akways drawn to the sea. After seeing a trailer of "The Terror" based on the book by Dan Simmons which I have not read I was drawn further. That work of fiction was itself based on fact following John Franklin's ill fated voyage to uncover the North West passage- the last foggy area on the world map.
It was fascinating. The artist licence granted irked a bit but otherwise it felt really authentic. Some of the scenes of sprawling icescapes with the Northern lights were spectacular. The sense of desolation was felt. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It got me thinking about why I am drawn to the sea. It is afterall just water sitting on land. Something draws me though. Maybe its in the blood. When researching my family my oldest direct relative was a marine engineer who drowned. Some of his descendants worked at sea. My uncle worked on trawlers. Do we inherit something from our forefathers?
Last note. The photo above is of course neither the Terror or Erabus. It is the RRS Discovery docked in Dundee next to the V&A building. I was there 4 years ago when movement was more free.
No comments:
Post a Comment