Tuesday, 2 March 2021

Grandmother

 







" Grandmother "

By law of nature we all have 4 natural grandparents somewhere down the tree even if they are not known. Of course nowadays that is a bit more clouded but in essence it's still the same however you look at it. Growing up I only knew one set of grandparents and they meant the world to me. They are sadly no longer with us but definitely never forgotten.

I barely knew my maternal grandmother. Some family fall out meant that last time I saw her wad 1983 when I was heading to be a teenager and not far off my own boy's age. Even up until that point I have very few memories of her. My biggest regret there is that I did not reach out to her. When she died in 2000, something I only found out much later at the registry office, I was living in the same town as her and had been for a few years. No point lamenting now.

My paternal grandmother would have been 97 years old today had she not lost her fight with lung cancer in 2004. She was the lynch pin keeping everything and everyone together. Shortly after her death all the family fell apart but it was not a surprise. It was inevitable which unfortunately was the only thing she wished not to happen. She is never far from my thoughts. I spent so much of my early life with her in Glasgow and she was kind throughout. I wish she'd lived a little longer to see the kids having died in between the birth of the two girls but by then my problems were esculating making visits a struggle. Even in hospital I only visited once saying I would return but couldn't. The funeral was extremely difficult and it would be over a decade after that day before I would make it to that part of the world again. 

No comments: