" Secret drinkers"
At the opposite side of the spectrum are the carefree drinkers of which there are many frequenting the green belts strangely moving out of the limelight but without a worry about being seen there in. These types vary. Yesterday for example I passed a man and a woman sitting on a bench talking loudly with a bottle of Buckfast sat between basically on shoe like a trophy. I've seen a business man in his suit sit on his lunchbreak on a stone several times with a sandwich and what looks like a bottle of Martini or the like. I often pass a cyclist sitting out the way on some stairs playing a game on his tablet while drinking from a similar type of bottle. Never hidden. No care.
But there are the other types too, the secret drinkers. Two regulars in particular. One is a postman who finishes around two and most days can be seen marching quickly from the supermarket to the woods with a bag in hand. I say hello and he sheepishly replied hiding his wares from my view but we both know it's there. There is great shame that saddens me do again I don't linger. He can't help himself and he is ashamed of it but can't stop. Similarly there is a retired gentleman who does the same. This is in my small area. Over the land there must be a horde of them.
There are many differences between the secret drinker and the care free equivalent. One is loud and one us silent. One is eager to show while the other craves to hide. Mostly though it is the interaction I note. The secret drinker will always respond and is always sober in appearance. The other can be brash, ignorant and non-approachable. He, or she, has the glazey stare than never focuses. I tend to avoid these ones if I can. The woods has many creatures.

No comments:
Post a Comment