In the short time since the schools returned many clusters have popped up and the reproduction number has risen with it. Yesterday our little town had its first outbreak with two kids and a teacher testing positive at one of the primary schools. I can't say I'm surprised. There have been no safeguards, no easing in. I had a bit of lurgy last week, better now, but so did my daughter and she had to stay off. No one asked to have her checked. There was no test followed by track and trace if needed. That's just one school.
Anyway the way things have gone has now made the Scottish government consider facemasks in school. Straight away my back was up when I heard they were considering "asking schools" to wear face masks in corridors and other enclosed spaces. Surely if this is a consideration because they fear infection spiralling it should be enforced rather than suggested? That lack of conviction angers me. Yet again it leads to doubt, confusion and ill feeling between those who wear and those who don't. It seems like this country keeps finding itself in polarising situations which is fine for debate but not when it turns nasty like it usually has.
So why was this not implemented from day one? What I have heard is that it's because of a change in thinking by the WHO. That for me is not good enough and a clear sanatizing of hands- blame shifting. If it was already "mandatory" to wear face masks on public transport and in shops why did they need the WHO to shift their position to do it in schools. And even at that they are still dithering. If they do follow it through and do the right thing they will no doubt pass the responsibilities on to the schools. I really do hope it does not take more tragedy for them to act because to me that looks like how this is heading unless they tighten things up. Scotland and parts on Northern Ireland have resumed first with England and Wales set to follow. If there are lessons to be learned I think the latter two would do well to introduce face masks from day one.

No comments:
Post a Comment