In my bid to hit all the perimeters of my small town until I can get out of it for more than a few breaths I headed West tonight. There are about 8 or 9 routes out depending on whether you follow a road, a path, a track, a river, a stream or some other means-maybe there is an underground tunnel I don't know about. To my mind its the only route out West. For the entirety the road is named Glasgow Road and as you would expect it leads to the biggest city in Scotland, 10 miles away. That is 10 miles as the crow flies. I did walk almost that distance one day on this route and was in Rutherglen on thd outskirts. At one time the Clyde walkway would have taken me all the way there but that has been all but abandoned nowadays as a walk way.
It's been a long while since I've been out this way even by car. 6 months at least. And things have changed in places. One thing that struck me was the amount of work being done by people on their own properties-or completed work. Paint jobs, driveways, extensions and all sorts. The economy may be going to ruin but there seems to be a fair few not feeling the pinch yet. Outhouses in particular are popping up all over. A lot of the older houses in town and in the wider area in general have large gardens so there is room fir a home from home. Newer houses of course are lucky to get a few blades as builders look to squeeze in as many buildings into what little space is left to maximize profit. Lots of new homes have sprung up with more to come.
Anyway I got to where I wanted to go almost too easily. Around a mile from home was the goal and about 4/5ths of the way or more I suddenly shook myself from my blissful walk to question why it was so easy. I saw an end and had been ready to go beyond it but with that one thought I had to push to get to the end and once there it was a quick about turn with a quicker pace back. No hanging about with panic rising. I'd left town and was quickly back. I'd walked longer many times this month but one thought of doubt is all it takes. And here is the difference compared to a couple of years ago. These thoughts still came but I was more confident and could quickly diffuse them often enough that they came less regularly and with less impact. These walks are about building that confidence again. It took a long time before but it was worth it. I have to be patient again and in time it will come together again.

No comments:
Post a Comment