Wednesday, 30 September 2020

Panic Buys

  




I hate to say I told you so but I told you so. Except I didn't need to say it. My wife and I had a debate of sorts two days ago concerning panic buys. My wife was of the opinion that a threat of lockdown would not lead to panic buys whereas I was convinced that is where it would lead. My wife's stance was the sane one. Why would it? This time around shops are well stocked. Lessons will have been learned: there is enough for everyone so no need to horde. Completely logical and how it should be in a sane respecting world. But that is not where we live. My point was that there were enough selfish people to start a chain reaction that would lead to panic buying again. There are enough people who only care for themselves regardless of whether it was the right thing to do. That is why last time there were people having to bin excess they bought and some who even had no regret doing it as long as they had enough.

Last night we were in Farmfoods and a guy came in with two young girls. He grabbed about 5 packs of toilet paper which must have held about 12 in each. His young girls grabbed an additional 1 each. Straight in and out. That was all. The start. 

Tonight we were in ASDA and went to the pasta aisle. All the cheap pasta was gone. Still some pasta left but nowhere near as much as usual. The toilet paper aisle was a similar story. We were able to get what we needed so no problems but the signs are there. Others will see that and it will spur them to stock up. This is how it starts. It's crazy. I really do hope lessons have been learned and stores limit multiple buys before this spirals again. 

No comments: