Monday, 14 September 2020

078 Bubbles

 



" Bubbles "

I've painted almost all the interior with no problem at all. Comments have been good. It got me wondering why painting and decorating was seen as skilled labour. And for a 1001 reasons I am of course very ignorant on that score. A professional is very much skilled. Lesson 1 for me started this week: what to do when it doesn't go to plan? Thus far it was plain sailing and arrogantly I just expected that to be the norm.

The one room I have been putting off is the bathroom for many reasons. It was a state and full of clutter. Not a chance I was touching it. But then the oldest wanted someone over which is a post for another day. As a result she not only gutted out her room but did the same with the bathroom leaving it spotless. Credit to her. It takes an eternity and much patience to get her to do something but when she does it is a thorough job bordering on too much perfection some time. I saw this as my chance to paint at long last. It's a drab 80s looking aqua in there. I felt it needed painted brilliant white. Mostly this was down to having no window in there so it makes sense to try to brighten it up.

That was the plan at least. I worked one area and after 3 coats it was obvious the paint was not taking. After much thought I remembered I had primer somewhere, found it and applied it. Not much better. 5 coats now but stains and marks still showing through under visible strokes now and bubbles. Just looks awful. I left it for a bit to think and research. After some pondering I got some sand paper tonight and with trying working out the bubbles tomorrow. That won't fix it short term but I am hoping that after that and another 5 coats it might at least be an improvement. That is the plan anyway. It appears the problem is down to moisture and as this this the area where most of that is present if I can master that the rest will be a doddle. If nothing else it will give me something to do. 

No comments: