Sunday, 6 September 2020

070 R+

 



" R+ "

It was expected for sure. With the easing of lockdown some increase in the fabled "R" number was always going to happen. The increase rate though seems to have caught out those in power though. Its growing fast. Is a second wave on its way? Mortality rates at the moment are thankfully much smaller than when the outbreak started but that is no cause to relax. It appears that this is because the spread is mainly among the younger group. But this younger group invariably come into contact with older and more vulnerable people. This is my concern. Contact and trace is not going to halt the seriousness of those cases as it starts to spread quicker. It is a worrying time I feel.

Not for everyone though it would appear. There are those who think it's not as bad as the government are making out. The lack of deaths in comparison with the start of the year is I feel a factor in why more and more people are losing fear despite the rate of positive cases indicating otherwise. I stood outside a store yesterday I had not been in since before lockdown and was going to go in but didn't as I had forgotten my face mask. I stood for a moment outside, looked back several times as I went by on a walk and did the same in the way back. In total I think I saw 10 parties of 1 or more going in or out and of those only 1 had a mask. I could have gone in too but that is how it starts. You then don't bother next time and other people look and then do the same. The fear factor is all but gone for the majority. 

My concern is that a second wave could hit just as hard as the first. I remember well how before lockdown no one really took it seriously despite the growing number of cases. We are back there again. I remember noting the daily deaths in Scotland were single figures for what seemed a long time then suddenly double figures and beyond in a short space of time. I really font think the majority of society has learned from that given some of the scenes of protests, no social distance in restaurants, crowded pubs, Inter mingling of households and so many other worrying signs. Some establishments appear not to be following protocol at varied degrees. I'm not even sure contact and trace is working to the level it's needed to. Unfortunately it's going to take a big scare to wake people up again to the danger. I pray that day doesn't come even though the signs are that it's not far off. 

No comments: