Friday, 26 February 2021

243 Street fighting

 



" Street fighting"

If you have ever seen "Trigger happy TV" then you will be familiar with a recurring sketch. It involves, from memory, a businessman walking down an empty street and suddenly out of nowhere a crowd comes charging around the corner from nowhere to chase him. It's made all the more surreal because the chasers are in fancy dress. 

I had a similar experience today. I was on the phone to my brother walking down an empty road when suddenly a group of 10 to 12 teenagers came sprinting around the corner shouting and screaming. My initial thought was they were having a laugh. But then a second group appeared chasing. Not so good. Threats hurled and punches thrown and generally manic scenes. The noise was so loud that my brother asked if everything was OK. Shocking really. This is supposed to be lockdown. This scene of madness took place right next to the main road running through the town. I passed through unscathed but I'd imagine a younger innocent might not have been so lucky. 

No photo of course. As I said the other day there are occasions I am reluctant to take pictures. This was certainly one. It is the area though above where it happened. They all charged from the bottom right and crossed over to my side. It felt like there was something in the air today. When I went out at midday there was a Forty something staggering up the street drunk making me wonder what time he must have started drinking and where that was happening. There were more people about in places and bigger groups. Whatever was in the air it was not good. There was a feeling that people just weren't caring any more. 


No comments: