Sunday, 7 February 2021

Horror

 



" Horror "

I never used to watch much TV but in recent years with so much at our fingertips I have found myself watching more and more. Its to the detriment of reading unfortunately so I do want to change that. At night time though when things quieten enough to concentrate I find watching appeals more than reading.

Like reading and music I don't like to pigeon hole myself. I'll watch a variety of things from real life documentaries to Sci fi shows and all in between. But about the only thing I don't watch is "Horror" and that is probably why I watch alone because its the main thing my wife and the girls watch. I can genuinely say I cannot remember a film of that genre I actually enjoyed and no for certain I've not seen anything scary. My wife always harks back to "Salem's lot" being scary but it's not, it's dated. And the three of them are continually disappointed as everything they watch turns out to be rubbish mostly and/or disappointing. That is the genre in my opinion but still they keep going back.

I don't know why that is. Do we see so much of it in real life that we are desensitised to anything on a screen? I think so. Horror got me into books. When I did not read at all I read "Funland" by Richard Laymon out of boredom. I read more by the author which led me to Anne Rice, Dean R Koontz, Stephen King of course and so many more before leading on to read other genres. I would still have no qualms reading horror but would have to be heavily compensated to watch it. It is easy it has to be said when there are so many quality TV shows being made but with all that I really cannot see the appeal of horror. Then again in my own home I am the minority so what do I know. 

No comments: