Saturday, 20 February 2021

237 Spikes

 



" Spikes "

I don't usually suffer from many physical problems, long term at least, but at the moment I'm plagued with a sore neck. I put it down to posture while sleeping or maybe even an open window during the night. It doesn't matter how it started really because it doesn't help. It's not painful as such or even an ache really but uncomfortable. It feels like something which has been overtensed. It feels like a metal rod has been shoved down the neck causing a restriction.

I say sore neck but it's too low for the neck yet too high for the back and too central for the shoulder. I think it's that big muscle we have either side coming down the neck and along the shoulder. I've damaged it somehow and a week later it's not getting better but there is little that can be done so I just accept it and hope time does its job. 

I've tried a few things. Deep heat for one reluctantly didn't help. Reluctance came from a similar problem years ago and my wife decided a can of Ralgex would help but in spraying my shoulder she also sprayed the back of my ear for long enough for it to burn brightly. I still remember the shower hose of cold water hammering off it while I hunched over the bath and the sound of my wife's laughter in the background. Equally a heated beany toy did little to help either. 

What did help was this spikey cushion above- albeit it only temporary. Many moons ago my wife bought me this for Christmas and I remember opening it and thinking: What? I can't remember why she bought it but all these years later it has helped. And it makes me wonder why. It's a cushion of Spikes. When you lie on it it's momentarily uncomfortable and then not. 10 minutes later the discomfort has eased. Logically I don't know why but it has. I'll take it though. 

No comments: