I was watching the show "Would I lie to you?" which is the modern equivalent of "Call my bluff". Straight out of the 80s Mr Motivator was on the show and his statement was something like: Every day I do press ups equal to the number of years of my life. True or false? I reckoned he was in his late 50s but he is looking well at 68. That is a lot of press ups daily.
A good few years back there was a Facebook challenge relating to the armed forces in which people did 20 press ups per day for 7 days and tagged someone else to do it each day. I had many friends doing it with apparent ease and when I was tagged I went to do the same but found I could not do one press up. That was a shock. For many years I did them for karate and football without a problem. Long story short I started a regime and within a few weeks got up to 12 before giving up. That was hard to take. I knew I wasn't as fit as I used to be but I was always stronger than I looked. I never carried any muscle but because of karate in particular I had a good centre and good strength. Struggling to do a single press up was a let down.
Back to the show. Mr Motivator can do it with ease and more. It put me to shame- in a good way. Its reminded me that I need to get fitter. I don't need to be at that level but I do need to increase my fitness and strength. It's something I plan to do like before with an app when the kids return to school. Along with walks I want to start press ups and sit ups again. These apps on phones are good for motivation. I feel confident it's something I will do and benefit from.
No comments:
Post a Comment