![]() |
I was listening to a debate this morning on radio about what to do with the now derilict former shopping centre Broadmarsh in Nottingham. Lots of really good suggestions to this but my own thought was housing. Like many areas in the UK my own could do with a spruce up. It's grey and decayed looking so some paint and new buildings would be welcome for sure. It's housing though which we are told we are lacking. That is where my thinking led me.
Out walking again I am seeing more and more greenbelt disappearing under housing. My main walking area, the Clyde walkway, was interrupted previously by a new plot of houses. Out my window on the one bit of unoccupied ground it awaits housing to be built. I get all that. But I also know there are many abandoned buildings sitting derelict taking up large areas of nothing. Why eat up the green built when these useless sights exist. 5 miles away from me is a huge empty sprawl of concrete where Rolls Royce used to live. I could list many others. Unless you live somewhere remote you will know of many too. If it's no good for housing then flattening and plant there at least.
Anyway aside from the rant it's worth a look up as there are many of these "dead malls" worldwide. Fascinating to look at. In some cases it looks like nature is sick of waiting for human intervention and instead reclaiming the land itself.

No comments:
Post a Comment