Sunday, 30 August 2020

063 Reading

 



" Reading "

I have a Kindle full of books purchased from a long time ago right up until today. I have the hunger to read them but that hunger quickly gets buried by the desire to do other things. For example lately I have been paying for the few books I have purchased by earning credits playing games which take up so much time there is no brain power left to read. The appetite though is growing stronger. Today I started to feel a real connection to that appetite from a time past. I feel a lice of reading again breaking through gaming, Netflix and other distractions.

Above are 6 of the most recent books purchased over the last 3 years. I have bought guides and other books in this time but here I am referring solely to fiction. An indication that I have not been reading much in that time nor had the inclination. The first in the list I bought 3 years of so ago. It was my first book purchase in a long time done solely on the recommendation of an old friend. I started reading it on holiday but lost interest. Not because of the content. I just was not in that reading zone. In felt like a chore. I didn't enjoy the process of forcing myself to read. I will though go back to it.

The second book is a complete mystery. Thankfully my Amazon history tells me it was purchased a year ago yesterday strangely. I have no idea though what it's about, what led me to it or why I bought it. I don't like when that happens. I think if I searched enough I could find out but I won't.

The other 4 were bought this weekend. What happened was a rogue thought. I read about an upcoming film based on Frank Herbert's "Dune". Not a book I was ever interested in nor the previous film by David Lynch- who I do like. My impression of that was a desert and big worms which led to me never watching it. Anyway I got to thinking the book must have something about it given its popularity so decided I would read it. I therefore went to buy the book but when I saw it was £5.99 I decided not to. Its an old book so the inflated price is no doubt down to Denis Villeneuve's film being released at the end of the year. I'll wait.

But I did get a book. Equally old I had a desire to buy Jack London's "Sea Wolf". This is a real favourite of mind but its so long since I read it I can't remember much about it. I really do want to read it again. And while there tgd Kerouac book caught my eye. I had a lot of his books years ago and loved them. Whether it was about his life or his friend Neal Cassidy it was always captivating. Two books involving the sea maybe connects with my ancestral past. My family have a long connection with the sea. And talking of old books I have never read "1984", always wanted to and at 74p now I will. The last book on the list was one I found out about today which sounded really interesting. It's about composer Shostakovich and the seige of Lenningrad.

At least it is my intention to read all these soon. There are though lots of books with the same intention unread. I wonder whether that is the format. Years ago I had tons of physical books but very few unread. It's cerh easy to purchase books instantly and then even easier to ignore them when they are not taking up room on a shelf. 

2 comments:

Mel said...

I have a book problem. I have literally hundreds on my kindle and keep buying more! I tend to put stuff I want to read on a wishlist and then buy anything that drops to 99p but then I get distracted by TV, video games etc and as much as I love to read they get forgotten about.

I have read two of these books though. I found Happy a little tedious at the beginning as it went through the history of philosophy but once it got to the nitty-gritty of stoicism I found it really interesting. I can't say it changed my life but it gave me a lot to think about and it might be time I picked it up again soon.

1984 is excellent if somewhat unsettling. The more time goes on the closer we seem to be getting to making it a reality. George Orwell was right, he was just about 30 years too early!

I hope you enjoy your books :)

Rab said...

Cheers Mel,

I think we are very similar in that way. I keep sendinding myself free samples as well as an ever increasing wish list. Hopefully I'll get around to the many I have bought in time.

I get what you mean about Happy. I just wasn't in the head space for thees history lesson at the time but I will go back and give it ago. I do like to read about different philosophies.