Saturday, 1 August 2020

034 Chicken



"Chicken"

Chicken, chicken and more chicken. Don't worry I won't be posting every time we get a bargain from the shops! My wife is a vegetarian so it was unusual to see her arrive home with so much meat. She can't pass a bargain by but there is more to it than that. £1 for a whole cooked chicken and 88p for 2 cooked chicken breasts. Good stuff. But I am 3rd in the pecking order. Top of the tree are the foxes which come every night with the dog a close second. The urban visitors are living well, mince last night. No wonder they keep coming back.

With my wife being vegetarian my options for eating are limited at times. Meals for two are a no go if its meat. And as I like spice and the kids don't there are things which are off limit. Its rare for me to get an Indian take away and even rarer to get Chinese as a result. Mind you I appreciate it all the more as a result.

It did get me thinking about meat. I love chicken and I love bacon. I like the occasional rack of ribs. I'm not so keen on traditional meat cuts like are found at a carvery. But as much as I like I think I could do without. I've noticed more and more when I cook from scratch I make it vegetarian so my wife can have some. Enchiladas and Fajitas have gone down well. Pastas and noodles and some other dishes less so but still eaten. I could though do without meat. I won't because I have no desire to but if I did I realise I could get by fine without it. I'm not a fan of meat substitutes but I could get by on alternatives if needed.

No comments: