I have found myself lately on a binge of documentaries which I make no apologies for. I can't get enough if I'm honest. I prefer them to dramas even though there are a few good options in that field. In fact I'd go as far as to say TV has never been better. Yes there is probably too much and yes there are some really poor offerings but that is very subjective. I'd rather watch "Into the inferno" for example rather than "Love Island" but I also know I am in the minority there despite the beauty of Werner Herzog's film against something which I would imagine is its polar opposite. In recent years it has drawn directors like David Lynch, Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese and others to the small screen. It may be hard to find sometimes with so much choice but I really do feel there are some brilliant offerings out there.
Anyway it's documentaries which have been holding my gaze these past few weeks. There is no doubt that when Netflix decided to stop relying on other people's productions and started making their own it has led to a boom in new TV offerings. Not just because they were making their own much like the BBC and others have done for years but because their competitors did the same. Sky, Amazon, Apple and others all making original TV. Netflix in particular have made some really fantastic documentaries in the past few years that have really kept me gripped. Too many to mention.
Lately though I have turned to the BBC. It started with a recommendation to watch a Storyville episode about the National Enquirer. Really interesting from the mafia money which started it to the transition from apparent fools to recognised journalists in the OJ trial and subsequent fall again with the death of Lady Diana. It led me to a score of Michael Portillo travels and then to a very moving documentary I had not seen for years about the bombing of Hiroshima. This one in particular I am trying to get the kids to watch this weekend if I can get them off their phones. Last night I watched all 3 hours of the Jonestown tale. Another tragedy but brilliantly and sensitively documented. It has been really enjoyable to take in and at times emotional.

No comments:
Post a Comment