Tuesday, 25 August 2020

058 Crime

 


" Crime "

The town I live in has a bit of a bad reputation outside of the area- unfairly I feel. I remember when I met my wife and she told me she lived here I had no intention of following without actually knowing anything about it. I don't know where the reputation came from to be honest. When I met with friends a few years ago they had that same negative impression. In truth though I've not had any reason to feel negative of the area really. On the whole it's been OK. But that said I did tell my wife a few days ago I don't want to stay here long term. In fact I want to leave in 4 years when the last kid leaves school. She wants to stay. That is for another day.

Things had been mostly OK but a couple of years ago an idiot came to the door and tried to assault me on the door step. That in itself was not pleasant but not a massive worry. What concerned me more was that the person kept his hands in his jacket pockets making me suspect he was holding something. There have over the past few years been several deaths from stabbings do it did make me think. It was though defused and turned out he'd come to the wrong door. No harm done.

Last weekend a different incident. I heard voices outside I thought and went to the window in time to see someone walking quickly towards our front door. My wife and kids were out with the dog and the door was unlocked. This guy had a hood up just the the last one. I headed to the stairs and turned on the light expecting the door to open. It didn't, I think the light had spooked him. I ran back to the window to see this guy running at speed down the street. No harm done. I went out anyway and then discovered he'd stolen solar lights out the garden. Not the first time. Those, plants, a hanging basket and other things gone. I don't know why my wife bothers. 

Anyway looking out to see three meat wagons wad very unusual. More so when about 10 officers got out and walked up the street to the next block. On Friday there had been a murder a few streets away. I take it this was related. Today a 23 year old man was arrested for the shooting. I'm not sure if the murderer was from the next block. Thankfully its not a regular occurrence but for a small town a little too regular for my liking. 

No comments: