Thursday, 27 August 2020

060 Painting

 



" Painting "

I remember years ago, maybe a decade ago, when reading Dr Claire Weekes' book "Self help for your nerves" a passage about a patient who did not have the energy to do anything. So shot were her nerves and so depleted were she as a result that even getting out of a chair was a chore. At the doctor's advice she was asked to paint her fence. Sitting down in a chair at first. A little at a time. And over time this helped. In face I seem to recall she enjoyed it- some sort of self worth from it.

Not for me. I am, or was, a DIY disaster. Despot this 17 years ago I tried to help my wife paint a room and after getting paint on a window pane I was banned from all activity leaving it to my heavily pregnant wife who just wanted me "out from under her feet". About 18 months ago though my wife decided the living room was long overdue a spruce up and for whatever reason I volunteered- lack of self worth and time on my hands I suppose. Two dark grey walls, two light grey walls, white ceiling and white cornices. Then gloss the skirting boards and the door frames. I surprised myself by not only doing a decent job but also enjoying it. I found it very therapeutic. So much so that I set my sights further.

The kids were delighted to have their room brightened up. Not least because of the damp which I managed to treat and then decorate. The hallway was next and then the stairway which was a bit of a saga. I had about 6 coats of navy paint which left a chalky residue if you looked at it the wrong way about 4 coats more of the same colour but different paint which did the same. Then another 4 coats of dark grey which was fine. Bannister, skirting and some other things glossed. Next it was the kitchen which was painted a hot cherry. The biggest job there though was then stripping down all the cabinets and repainting them. They had been covered in a sticky vinyl I had to remove then scrub individually. Because of the surface I then had to use an undercoat and then finally use a roller with gloss on each door levelled out. It looked great when finished but sadly was not built for durability. 

Anyway a bedroom still lies untouched for reasons I'll get yo one day. The other day the oldest took it upon herself to hit out the bathroom and leave it spotless. Incredible job. This gave me the urge to paint this room which I had previously refused to do because it was such a mess. So this will keep me occupied for the next week. I find it calming. I can lose myself. I can even have headphones on with music without it irritating me. I actually enjoy it. If I could get over the agoraphobia again I could even do some jobs for people who don't have the time to or can't be bothered. Possibly. 

2 comments:

ADDY said...

A lot of my hobbies are solitary where I can lose myself and immerse myself... gardening, sewing, cooking and decorating. Seeing something transform from nothing to the end product is very rewarding. I am glad it is helping you.

Rab said...

I couldn't agree more. I think if we had a garden I would like to Potter and take an interest in it. I do like working on my own. I always have too.