Monday, 31 August 2020

064 Scaredy

 



" Scaredy "

Continuing the book theme I move from fiction to fact. Around Christmas time I bought 4 dog related books and like some people do I somehow thought owning the books was as good as reading them. I have wasted so much money over the years in this way. When I could afford it I spent hundreds of pounds on computer related books which I justified at the time as being work related but they were more like expensive ornaments. I had about 10 books on playing guitar but never struck a chord. I could go on.

So 4 books purchased and unread with a prayer that the dog would become the perfect family pet as a result- no surprise that he did not. "Mine" was bought for my wife who said she would read it but didn't do I finally read that the other day but not really methods that work for our dog. I got the first 2 books in a 3 book set but still have not gotten around to them so I am fully to blame for that. And the same hoes for this one which I read about after buying the other 3 and wished I'd seen this first but still not enough to read it in the year following. I do have to say though it's not as straight forward as it sounds. The lady 2 years have been heavy on anxiety and large dozens of the dark frozen sweat of dread. In these states I cannot focus, my mind invariably keeps getting sucked into the abyss. And when not I tend to seek out escapism which is not found in training manuals. That has not changed but I'm determined to give this a go regardless for the dog's sake.

This book seems to fit our situation. It concerns scared dogs and that is what he is. We need to gain his trust and then hopefully help him outside. The reviews look promising. The blurb looks like a git. Only time will tell though. Maybe even just having an understanding about why our dog is reactive may help. I seem though to have spent my whole adult life reading some sort of education which gets harder with age to retain. That is my experience at least. 

No comments: