Tuesday, 27 April 2021

303 Defiant

 


" Defiant "

"No", just 2 letters making a tiny word. But a strong word. Negative. Defiant. I'll keep the one short because my blood is still boiling. My wife was out early today to work so I got the kids up, fed and out the door. Or at least that was the plan. The girl would not get up. Finally I yelled at her to get up and that was the reply. What do you mean? I am not going, was the last response.

What to do? I was in that moment of blind rage on the verge of doing something I knew I would later regret. No respect. Not an ounce of it. Do I drag her out on to the street screaming? What would that do? I realised I could do nothing except simmer and I am still simmering. At best it's disappointing because it's like deja vu having gone through this 2 years ago with her sister. The school on both occasions bended over backwards for them but in the end there is no effort and no respect.

I could go deeper into the complexities of it but won't. Its a thing I would not have gotten away with but it was simpler back them. Nowadays everything is a minefield. A bit of discipline is also a negative on a child's mental health. It's hard to find that balance and impossible, it seems, to make them see its actually for their own benefit. No one said it was going to be easy... 

No comments: