Walking down the main street of town it feels a bit like prison break. A lot not far away housing buses and cars has installed some very big floodlights which leave nothing hidden in the dark. It's too bright to look that way and so as I walk I look the other way where I am accompanied by a 29 foot shadow of self marching in time clinging to the walls. Maybe it's just as well. From the dead of night over lock down life has now awoken and it all feels a bit sinister to be honest.
For months I have enjoyed the quiet and safety of the dark night walks. Since Friday or thereabouts it has changed. The gutteral exhaustive coughs of boy racers speeding around town have rippled through the former peace. They backfire and misfire like shotguns in the night sounding louder than in the day. There are voices shouting sometimes in the distance, sometimes near. Drunken figures skull in the dark places. It doesn't feel like it did. I think I'm going to miss lockdown if this is the new normal.

No comments:
Post a Comment