Tuesday, 13 April 2021

289 1984

 



"1984"

Sometimes it feels like forces outwith our normal vision appear to be pushing us in a certain direction however vaguely. I feel that at the moment. I've been trying to find the right frame of mind to start reading again when really there is no right state of mind. It's just a time barrier that needs broken down by the act of reading. So what to read?

My wife was saddened to hear of the passing of a you woman who appeared on the Channel 4 show "Big brother" many moons ago. A really tragic loss of life in the most horrible of ways and a reminder of how mentally difficult it is for young women today to deal with what they perceive to be a negative body image. Also the other night my wife and kids were watching "Room 101" which is also a child of 1984. That must have been an old one as Terry Wogan was on it. My wife asks me about how it appears in the book and I had to say I don't know: I've never read it. And that is a shame given I got that and other books for free recently as I think I posted about but then again unsure.

Anyway I was also led 2 weeks ago to an article about the Isle of Jura and how George Orwell used it as a backdrop for the book. He lived there for a time at a farm house names Barnhill and wrote most of his book there. It can be bleak. It's a place I hope to one day visit and on a list of many such places. It's given me an urge to start reading on this first page so today that is what I have done. 

No comments: