The last two weeks my phone's traffic has increased significantly. In lockdown it has been fairly quiet but for the last fortnight to a month I have started to receive lots more calls from unknown numbers and text messages like the one above. This Royal Mail scam above is only the second one. I've had 4 or 5 from O2 which is not my provider. I started noting down all the unknown mobile numbers this month and there are over 20. That is from none previously. All different. I don't answer any calls that are not in my contact list. Some may be legit but I'd guess at least 75% are not.
It's worrying. I think it's hard to know someone who has not been scammed by virtual thieves or been the victim of an attempt. It's scary how more frequent this is happening as we are forced into a paperless society. It's a crime that needs urgent attention because there is a very real growing mistrust of using these virtual mediums and yet we are running out of choices. We are being forced into. It feels like being made to carry all cash you have down a dark alley where you know predators lie in wait with no protection. It feels like it's too easy for the cyber criminals who do not descriminate who they steal from. They would as soon take from someone who has more money than they can spend as steal the food out a child's mouth. They are faceless and without morals. I do hope counter criminal measures can be stepped up.

No comments:
Post a Comment