We used to laugh at the fact my father in law would whip out his sandles at the slightest hint of summer. In fact in some old indoor photos of the girls I heard it noted that the photos were taken in summer with a nod to a sandle clad bare foot in the background somewhere. It was a trope of sorts and maybe still is but we don't congregate as much these days.
And so where his sandle heralded summer my hat has done the same for winter--or thereabouts. It's hat weather now and more so soon given my wife his threatening with intent to shave my head again. I have a couple which I keep on my bag I take walking but soon they will be as permanent a fixture outdoor as the face mask has become indoor.
I actually spent a bit of cash one year on a hat which I hoped would last. It wasn't cheap. I had some money at the time and went into an outdoor store up north one time only finding out later its well known for having the best of gear for equivilant prices. I hot this great hat though made of Merino wool which was so cosy. One day shopping I put it in my pocket but when I went to the checkout it was gone. I searched the store but not to be found- someone had lifted it. It still annoys me. Who would want a hat that someone else had been wearing any more than buying someone's mattress or stealing someone's shoes? I despair at people sometimes.
That hat is on and the gloves will no doubt follow if I can ever find them. I have a few items that have lasted well. The gloves are well over 10 years old and I have a couple of jackets that are older. I do believe in some cases if you can it's worth spending a little more for something that will last. As a case in point the photo below is 20 years old. I should be ashamed but I am not.


No comments:
Post a Comment