Wednesday, 7 October 2020

The postman always rings once

  




About 2 months or so ago I was sitting out when a DPD lorry pulled up. The delivery driver got out, went to the door beside me, chapped, waited 10 seconds, dropped the parcel on the door step, looked at me, shrugged and the drove off. This is not an enclosed space and could be deemed a main thoroughfare the local area. It is exposed. There is no fence. The parcel was left waiting to be picked up by anyone. I saw it happen a few times more. Some deliveries contain expensive things. It's scary.

I did though think it had stopped. A few weeks ago I got a delivery and the female with package in hand asked if I could step back when I opened the door. I did. She then threw the parcel over the threshold and took a snap with her phone. Progress at least.

The other day though I saw another parcel on a doorstep. Its not a neighbour I know. About 5 hours later after a walk I passed and it was still there. It could have anything in it. It could be something worth a few pound or multiple thousands. Either way it's shameful. It would not be as bad if a delivery time was accurate but they are not. My most recent one was due one day but came the day before and i nearly missed it because although the dog was barking like crazy I was under a sink painting and putting it down to another dog passing. It was only luck that the delivery driver had several local drops or I would not have spotted him after

For years I have taken in parcels for people and had the same in return. Its what neighbours do. I'm not blaming the drivers because they are only working to instruction. I don't know why it has to change but it has and I cannot see how it benefits anyone. I have taken in at least three parcels recently from close neighbours doorsteps and put notes through their doors. I don't though with neighbours I don't know because I would fear someone was thinking I was trying to steal it. 

No comments: