For the first time in my life I bought Chillies while shopping. I do like Mexican food but not a fan of the overuse of standard green, yellow and red peppers. I find them tasteless and although they look good on the eye they don't taste so great- in my opinion. For me there is nothing more disappointing in a Mexican dish than biting into something big, rubbery and red expecting a burst of tomato juice and instead finding only polystyrene.
But I do like chilli peppers and it got me posing the question to self: why? Is it "the kick"? Is therefore a balance between just enough prickle without numbing? I'm not sure. I just know that I've had nachos with Jalapeño and without and much prefer with even though I couldnt eat them on there own- as some people do. But I don't know much about peppers though. I got these to make Enchiladas without knowing if it was the right thing. I just knew when I picked up Scotch Bonet it was not those. Spice though is something Brits have only recently been getting used to. The chilli pepper rating exists now on a lot of food not just Chillies but I don't think that existed 5 years ago.
And maybe there is a want for increased spice. A vindaloo 20 years ago was the only time I felt too uncomfortable to continue eating. That was up until some hot wings from KFC some time ago which left my mouth on fire for some time after. Its on the rise I feel. Its like a test. I would have enjoyed that a few years ago but now I feel I'm content with dishes a bit milder.

No comments:
Post a Comment