Technology is a great thing for sure but is there a balance to be had? The interact home for example is no longer the property of "Tomorrow's world" but very much the reality. And unlike a lot of dramas involving the rich it not exclusive to the rich but affordable to most. With a smart speaker and some smart plugs you can turn your lights on and off just by asking. You can sit in a workplace in winter and turn on your home heating remotely from your phone before you get home. The list is endless. You can even set up routines to do a number of things via one voice action like "goodnight". It's all very clever but is it making people lazy? I do actually remember getting up to change the channel on a black and white portable. Now a remote control is too much effort.
I was listening to someone hosting a live football show I listen to who is well known for keeping statistics. What I didn't realise is that he keeps them all in notebooks and has done for decades. It works for him and probably quicker than the likes of me with a database. It's remarkable really. It does not take him long to retrieve information. He has something I think the current generation has lost. In fact my hand writing has suffered and I know I tend not to worry about spelling as the checker takes care of most of it. Already driverless cars are a reality- will we one day lose the ability to drive? There is good and there is bad. Its all about balance. I am not though convinced balance will win out.

No comments:
Post a Comment