Wednesday, 13 January 2021

Old road

 


A little annoyed at my own laziness yesterday I pushed myself out for my longest walk of the year so far. As expected it wasn't easy. Really it's not laziness but more a reluctance to make a moment uncomfortable when it does not need to be. Who would choose that? The answer is many people would and do. Many people in a far worse situation to myself with a harder path ahead have to put themselves into discomfort and beyond all the time. I needed a shake.

I went my usual route but tried to be more mindful rather than racing from A to B and back to A as quickly as possible. I tried to take it in and tried to take my time. This took me onto the old road which led to the Lido Gardens long before I moved here. Apologies if I have mentioned this before. The area at Bothwell Bridge was an area people many years ago congregated on a nice day to sit by the river, paddle and relax among the flowers and picnic I would imagine. Quite how they did it in that stinking brown river is beyond me. Or maybe they didn't. Maybe I am mistaken as there looks like a strong current.

Anyway an expressway was built to cut through the heart of it and above is all that remains of the original road to the Lido. Walls and pathing are original. What gets me is how wide it is. All paths in the area are too narrow. This is how it should be. I stood for a moment imagining happy families coming down this way. Ghosts of the past. Now it's so rundown and the noise of speeding cars is defeating. Life moves on. Not always for the better. 

No comments: