Monday, 3 May 2021

308 No show

 



" No show "

I look at the clock and its 11:15. There is a twang of guilt and a pang of sadness topped by a sprinkling of anger at myself. I wonder if someone 10 miles away is calling my name. If it a young nurse in scrubs or a young army person calling my name? Anger and irritation at another no show: haven't we enough on our plate without time wasters?

When I finally did open my Vaccination summons it was further than I had anticipated and there was zero chance of going there. It was Ravenscraig today at the time above. Ironically in the week of the election this is one of many sites that gave cause to a rise in nationalism. It was among the biggest, if not the biggest, steelworks in Europe in its pomp. When it was closed 30 years ago it ripped the heart out of a community that was not easily forgotten with generations losing jobs at the same time. Long ploughed into dust it is now the site of a huge sports complex perfect for vaccine rollout.

There was never any chance of going and even less when I looked at photos of the place- prime panic building just like a kids place a few years ago. That said it was not my intention initially to just ignore the appointment. I read the letter and it stated I could go online and rearrange. That is what I set out to do. I created an account, clicked to rearrange and was presented with dates, times and locations. Unfortunately the Ally McCoist in East Kilbride was the nearest which is another big sports centre 6 miles away. Still too far. No option but to opt out. I was directed to a phone number "in the table above" but there was no number. I found other numbers which may or may not have been the right one. Suddenly I got annoyed. I didn't seek an appointment. Why wasn't there an option to opt out and give a reason? Why did I have to seek, chase and then go through that humiliation again of trying to justify my position to someone who cannot understand? So I took the decision to just leave it and as I type the time has passed. It is now a past event. I do t know what happens from here but I am sure I will find out in due course. 

No comments: