Thursday, 6 May 2021

311 Polling

 



" Polling "

Snow in May. Quite incredible. Not that I saw it. It was well washed away by the time I got up leaving a drab, grey, wet and cold wake. Horrible day. Polling day too. So glad I cast my vote by post as the thought of standing out in that at a school does not appeal.

My plan was to have an all mightier and see results coming in. I remember the joy doing so in 2014 and the hope a tide was changing. Also though I remember the election after which was horrible. That is what I expect again but I live in hope of a change. Thankfully though this time the count won't be overnight so I can look forward to that tomorrow instead.

The outcome is really hard to gauge. Most of the polls I have seen have been conflicting. It's a majority then it's not. In the streets its harder to gauge because the unionist tend to stay silent whereas the nats like to shout. That is why the 2014 independence referendum was a surprise as SNP followers were the loudest. Even now we have the celebrity contingent of the likes of Alan Cummings, Brian Cox, Martin Compston and others telling up to vote for independence in a country they could not wait to leave in favour of the states. Neil Oliver appears to be the only one talking up the Union. Even Ewen McGregor jumped the dyke.

Above is an example of the nationalist need to make Scotland look like its all yellow. That sign was put up by a group who have been going all over the central belt of Scotland putting up signs, billboards and driving a van around with anti-SNP slogans. That sign was not there 24 hours later. In the small street next to it at least 3 homes has SNP posters in the window and the other 9 or so have none. It makes it look like a pro-nat street and it may be but the fact is unionists tend not to feel the need to tell their neighbours who they are voting for. It's a form of intimidation. It's goading someone not to agree with them so they can tear that down like the sign. Union flags are just not seen but saltires fly on ever corner. There are Euro flags. There are even Catalonia flags believe it or not. And in one garden the saltire flying beside the national flag of Puerto Rico!

For 7 years unionists have been seen as spineless traitors for wanting to be part of the United Kingdom. It has created a toxic atmosphere of which no good will come. The sooner this election has passed the better but I fear this is just a starter to the main course ahead which could lead down a very dark alley. 

No comments: