Monday, 13 July 2020

015 Bargains



"Bargains"

£16 worth of food for £2. Enough to go towards feeding a family of five for two needs. In these times where financially most of us are going to feel the pinch Bargains feel like a big win. Something that was £10 one day can be £2 or less the next because its closer to its sell by date and to be honest a lot of food is fine a few days beyond that- some not. As long as you are not doing a weekly shop you can buy and eat daily at a discount.

I find myself checking dates more and more often. Previously I found myself paying full price for things that were up the next day so now I check. Bread especially as that is the one thing that does seem to go unchecked in our local store. And that is one food source which does not seem to keep too well around and especially after irs projected expiry.

Bargains also give you a chance to try something new. At the best part of a tenner a piece I would not normally buy boxes like the ones above do would never experience their delights- or lack of. Especially for the kids who are not adventurous that way it is a chance to experience a new taste without worry of waste. Of course we don't eat bargain food all the time, just when it fits. I think as the economy shrinks daily and more food banks are added to the list we may all need to seek our bargains where we can find them.

2 comments:

ADDY said...

Wow that's an amazing bargain. I agree it's worth checking labels and often even a date a day or so beyond the sell-by date is not harmful.

Rab said...

Yeah Addy, there are plenty of bargains there. I have found our senses are a better indicator of the state of food than the labels.