Wednesday, 26 January 2022

Further sky tales

 


The day after my last post about strange celestial things something else happened from that part of the outside. If proof were needed that I am a drama queen deep down or skittish at best this incident best describes it. I was lying on the sofa reading a book and the boy was stretched out on the other sofa with his headphones on playing a game. All very serence. The silence was broken by the sound of what I first thought to be a go kart going extremely fast over the gravel outside. It didn't distract me too much. Very quickly though it was drowned by the nasally whining sound of something very high pitched getting louder and louder and louder. This freaked me. I thought I could hear metal ripping apart somehow and jumped up in panic. In all honesty my first thought was a plane crash. That was the sound in the movies when a plane is nosediving to the screaming of the whirring engines. I didn't know what to expect as I reached the window but something shot by- an aircraft. It was dark but not completely and so it was the light I saw rather than a shape. My heart instantly settled.

But the sound did not die down which was strange. That was until another shot past. Finally the sound did start to fade- quickly actually. Mind in overdrive again. Are they fighters being scrambled to an ongoing incident? Was one chasing the other? I started to think of the impending crisis on the Ukraine border and how I have read a few times of RAF jets having to warn off Russian vessels encroaching in our space around the isle. As always my mind runs amok.

The incident was given a place on the BBC website as I think it freaked out a lot of people as well as myself. It turns out they were US Air Force F-15s on night training. That is the story any way but to be honest I am not sure I am buying it as I have never seen fighters in the central belt that low. There is a video in the article taken by a member of the public but it does not do it justice. They don't sound loud and don't look like they are going fast but in real time it was very different.

So that was the little incident of the week which I am thankful for because otherwise I would have nothing to say really except this is the worse start to a year I can remember. I had a fantastic 4 day period of walks way longer than I expected after a long lay off about 2 weeks ago which really gave me heart for this year. But I have paid the price heavily for it. 2 weeks on I am in pain and not feeling great which will pass in time but really not much fun and not fair. I just want to get back into it again and start pushing myself out again. Instead for the past week at least I have been mostly indoors except for dog walks out the front and shopping. As I said though it will pass. Its given me a chance to read again which I am enjoying so I'll get back to San Francisco aboard the ship "Ghost" and rejoin Jack London's "Sea Wolf" which is one of my favourite books but its been 30 years since I read it so I cannot remember much. 

No comments: