Saturday, 18 July 2015

Birds



After walking 3 miles I was knackered and so I headed home. The last leg to home took me across the car park of a small retail park housing a Lidl, B&M and Farmfoods. It was empty. All that was there was me- and a seagull. A seagull sat on a high pole and as I approached it let out a screech. And it did not stop this high pitched irritating sound. Then came another which flew over me and rested on a building behind. The birds. I was waiting for more and more to come but they didn't. Just noisy and the wing man. I've never been unsettled by birds and at this point still was not. The closest I had come to that was in my twenties walking my dog in a field and a bird started chasing it and dive bombing it and I was running about trying to hit with whatever I could find. I have been in the local park full of gulls, pigeons and all sorts of other birds without worry. This was no different. That was until I heard noise behind me and turned to see wing man come right at me. I had to duck and then stood up to find squawky coming at me. And that is how it went. Front and back. At one stage I was running with my heart thumping out my chest because I am not used to running and these two gulls flying at me from both sides. Scarey. That was until I found some stones and went for them. I was so annoyed. That though just frustrated me. They stood their ground and continued to circle and the few stones I threw missed by a distance. I've no idea why they decided to attack and as someone who hates ay kind of violence towards animals I did not enjoy retaliating but I also have to say I was angry and next time will probably react with even more fury if there is another unprovoked attack.

It unsettled me a bit. I won't lie. I'm not looking at the skies. I went a big walk yesterday and ended up going through an industrial estate. As luck would have it I ended up going down a road where there was no one. No people at all. But there were two gulls. And that high pitched voice noise again and I thought: really? As I walked down they moved from lamp post to lamp post and the noise did not stop. They flew over me and a few times but not as close as that other vermin. Still it was unsettling so soon after that first time. No idea what this is all about but not something I need. I won't let it put me off. I will fight back.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Could there have been a chick nearby? We have lots of gulls nesting on the roofs around here and at this time of year, when the chicks are leaving the nests, the parents do tend to get a bit aggressive!

I've just been catching up on your posts and I have to say I'm really impressed with how well you're doing! I'm afraid I've gone backwards (although I'm not as bad as I have been, and I'm confident I can get back on track eventually) but you're coming on in leaps and bounds! Sincerely, well done :) I'm so pleased for you and happy to see that you're finally able to get out and enjoy life with your family. Onwards and upwards!

Rab said...

Hi Nioniel,

My wife said that too. Very possible. The screech coming from it would suggest they were protecting something. I'll be trying to stay clear of there for a bit as I am too unfit to run.. :)

Thanks for your kind words. I am sorry to hear you have been having a hard time. I hope things pick up for you. Its good you feel confident that you can get back to where you were as I am sure you will and having the confidence and belief in that is the major part of it.

All the best

Rab.