Sunday, 15 August 2010

Feeling childish




I don't know whether it was me who influenced my wife, or she me or its just a symptom of having one window looking out on the world- there are two at the back but a car park, industrial estate and other homes is not for sightseeing. Whatever it was that led us there we both have a tendency when we get up from where we are sitting to move towards the window and look out and sometimes even linger there. In some ways its for a bit of a moan. To look for something not right and complain about it.

Last night for example the wife was hovering about the window and commented on yet another shopping trolley dumped across the road. Old hat. Didn't even raise an eyebrow. But still she stayed there. Not enough to make me curious but while I was distracted elsewhere I was aware of it. Then she told me it wasn't the normal kind of trolley but one for seating an adult. Mmm...it didn't compute.

In times passed I've pushed a trolley the supermarket with one of the kids seated facing me behind the handle. Its a common thing. But an adult? Surely not. I had visions of me in better days ahead choosing ingredients from the aisles for making a large meal and having to move around my wife sitting happy in a seat to put them in a trolley. Most bizarre. So we started a debate with her adamant it was for adults and me likewise it was not.

The image above makes it clear. It was taken today in daylight. When I finally rose to look out it was very dark and besides that I don't have great eyesight in low light. So I took some photos to see if I could get a better view and while I did this some guy walked up and pushed the trolley around the side of the building opposite. I couldn't tell. It would have to wait until morning.

Then my wife set me a challenge. I could go down and photograph it. Nah, no thanks. Mad men and women roaming the streets wouldn't take kindly to some pyjama glad moron with a camera taking photos of a shopping trolley. So I countered: Only if she sat in it to prove it would take an adult. Expecting her to fold I was surprised to find she accepted. Both of us were not for backing down so as soon as the kids were asleep we agreed to venture out.

We were like children. Something so simple yet we felt like we were being naughty and doing something we ought not to be doing. But we did it. At one point a neighbour appeared from their door and my wife resorted to pretending she was looking for the cat. Much to her surprise while doing this she found him. I know its a nothing but it was strangely liberating. In case you were worried about the kids we only have one door and were standing outside it. But it was like a bit of freedom and a little nostalgic and a little bit of giggling like times past. And here is the result.