Tuesday, 19 January 2010
Earache
I haven't been around too much for the past 4-5 days as I've had a bit of a bug kindly passed on by my young son but hopefully normal service will resume soon. Its one of these niggling little winter bugs with the usual symptoms that just won't seem to go but nothing to complain about. At the very least after about a week of being extremely poorly the boy is back to his old self again.
What is not so great though is an infection in the ear. These I've had before with my problematic right ear stretching back at least a decade. I am a great believer in letting nature run its course if you. Usually with time the body will sort itself out and take care of the infection. But not this time. Since arriving on Saturday it has evolved from minor irritation to severe pain. It would appear this wee strain of infection was a bit stronger than my old immune system was used to. There may also be another reason for the infection, caused by my own stupidity, but I'll blog about that another time.
After a night of virtually no sleep I got up with terrible pain. In bed I couldn't lie on the sore side and on the other side there was such a pressure on the ear that it felt uncomfortable too. While we got the kids ready for school my anxiety levels were increasing due to the pain and for once in the winter mornings I had to open the windows because I was boiling hot and sweating. Agitation followed and when my wife came back from the school run she called the doc.
A waited a couple of hours for the doc to arrive but he never did. In that time I was getting really apprehensive and on the verge of panic. It was like so many times before when an arrival was imminent but I had to call off at the last minute. Thankfully though the doc thought a diagnosis over the phone would suffice and agreed with my own. So later on tonight I'll get a course of antibiotics and that will hopefully be that. In the meantime I must just put up with the pain which has eased a little since getting up.
On the positive side its not stopped me getting out even if it is only around and about at the moment. The ice has finally disappeared and the path is no longer an accident waiting to happen so it is good to go for walks without that fear. I've not been in the car for a while though which is going to be hard again I feel but I will start that soon.
Labels:
Antibiotic,
Ear Infection,
Pain
