Wednesday, 30 November 2022

Moisture

 


Out home has been getting progressively more prone to build ups of moisture and it is driving me to despair. Its been there over the last five years or so. Maybe its been there longer. But over the years it has gotten progressively worse to the point a few years back I could no longer ignore it. Thankfully what I feared was damp turned out to be mould and after some Youtube videos I was able to clean, treat and repaint the affected areas. This year in particular though it has cranked up a few levels and its a constant job to keep it in check.

It started with the the windows. We were finding condensation on our windows every morning and would wipe and dry them. The moisture increased and so my wife bought a Karcher window cleaner to deal with them and it did. But in this last year although it still work sit is no longer condesation on the windows but a soaking and on the sill a puddle of water. We have tried ionisers and all sorts without any success as I think the moisture too much. The obvious solution is to keep the windows open but its bloody freezing so that is not an option. That is a daily morning routine but it can also be repeated multiple times a day. The window cleaner used to be emptied weekly but now its two or more times a day because there is so much water. 

Of course this has brought on mound and again I treat it but now I am finding water droplets on the ceiling near the windows because the air is so full of water. We have taken measures like reducing drying clothes in doors and ensuring the bathroom door is shut during bathtime but still the build up is incredible. And because the ceilings are wet I am now having to wipe those down every morning and cannot repaint because they are never dry. 

The summer will no doubt clear things up and put off the problem for another year. I am though beside myself trying to work out what is going on. I have spent many hours researching the problem without success. There is something nagging at me though telling me its the loft. At the moment we cannot get up there because you access it through a cupboard and that cupboard is full. A while back someone came and put new insulation in and I remember a few weeks later when I went up it was wet and hot. They were supposed to come back to put in some sort of ventiliation but never did. I need to get up there but also dread what I will find. Something for another day I suppose. For now I'll just keep treating it. 

No comments: