Wednesday, 27 May 2020

Keep your distance





The slowest of times continues to grind. Its surreal in a way. Its like the world around us is being reclaimed by nature. With no council workers cutting grass everything is overgrown and continues to do so. We are waiting for something not sure when or if it will arrive. We are like mime artists moving behind invisible walls to protect us and never entering the space of another. Its all very strange and yet frightening as well.

Still not everyone is convinced though. On Monday I had to take the dog out for a short walk. Given the situation I knew it would be no more than 5-10 minutes so I put lunch in the oven for the boy which needs just a couple more than that. While out some guy came over to see the dog. I took him not to get too near given how unpredictable the dog is. But he went straight in and put his hand out anyway even though the dog was baring his teeth and barking. The though then started licking his hand and then went back to being aggressive then licking his hand. And so on. The guy didn't seem too fussed. He started talking about how he loved dogs and asking about my own. I got lost in the moment given I don't talk to many people normal and haven't talked to a stranger in a good few months. It was only when he mentioned COVID that reality crashed in. He said it was a nonsense and that he had worked right through with no problems. First off he was around people, in my space and making contact with the dog. Secondly the cheese and tomato wraps I'd put on for the boy were bound to be on fire. I had to quickly make an excuse, virtually drag the dog and get home quickly. 

The wraps were ruined but thankfully I had enough tortillas, cheese and tomato to make more. After chucking the bricks in the bin I went to the fridge to get the ingredients out. It was only then I stopped. I had not washed my hands. So stupid but at least I caught myself in time. I let myself get flustered because of the situation. I need to be more aware in future.

The guy was nice enough. But it does annoy me that people can totally disregard other people's views because of their own. Because he thought there was no danger he just carries on regardless without asking if I agreed and not really caring either way. We had a guy run towards us a few months ago in the woods with his dogs and I told him to stay back as our dog was scared around other dogs. He the proceeded to keep coming saying his dogs were good dogs and they would be fine. We just walked off. I could hear him muttering something before heading off in the other direction. Some people just don't listen.

And this I am afraid is what may keep us stuck longer than we need to be stuck. There are people who don't listen and do what they want regardless. That is what puts other people in danger who abide by the rules. This is something I have tried to get into my oldest's head but she will not be told either now she ahs a boyfriend and another home to go to when it suits. On that score I hope I am wrong but only time will tell. 

No comments: