Wednesday, 13 May 2020

Creature of habit

 


Two shirts, a jumper, a pair of denims and a top with a zipper in a black bag bought for me as a present for Christmas or birthday, only 22 days apart. A jacket from Primark hung behind a bedroom door. Two shirts still unpacked and ties to go with them for job interviews. A pair of swimming shorts for my first overnight in a decade at a hotel with a pool. A t-shirt bought in tk maxx two or three years ago. A t-shirt from Italy given as a present two years ago. A pair of trousers and and a belt still in the asda bag from a month ago. Many more I have probably forgotten about.

Still I wear a fleece that is older than all millenials on the earth. I rotate between two pairs of trousers bought years ago tied by a belt which is hanging together by thread. The list goes on. I am a creature of habit but also a creature of comfort. New stuff doesn't always feel right and sometimes takes some wearing in. It's ridiculous. It's the reason also that we have so much clutter. I need to get on top of it or at the very least not buy anything else. 

On the other side its nice to have new things standing by and not have to pay for them. Its like having a little store I can pick from. There is comfort in things worn. Old jeans feel much better than new ones. I'd like to smarten my appearance but every time I go for what is nearest at hand. I am not sure if I am alone in that regard or whether even its a generational thing because boys in their twenties and older seem to invest a lot of time in their appearance. 

Weeks are still dragging by. We are still in lockdown and covid is going nowhere fast so I may waffle more over the coming months. 

No comments: