Sunday, 3 April 2011
The week with dad
This week has been a bit out of the ordinary for the kids, well the girls at least. It has been a little closer to normality but not quite. A long way off actually as far as I am concerned but not for them. The only thing they missed was their swimming lessons. The youngest girl said "Can't you take us daddy because you can drive to the shops now. Its not that far away". Afraid not. Driving there not a problem but getting two of them changed and then hanging about for an hour and then changing to come back in the car is beyond me still. In other respects though its been a change. They showed their appreciation with the youngest writing me a note and the oldest drawing a picture which was supposed to me a photo complete with the back of the camera as a frame- unfortunately the resemblance is uncanny.
Thirty two drives back and forward to the school complete but still not getting any easier. There should have been one more but it didn't happen. The school called on Friday two hours prior to the last drive to ask my wife to come to assess the youngest girl. I suggested I drive and my wife just take both girls out but my wife insisted on going alone expecting a long wait and knowing that I would be climbing the walls. Turns out the youngest had fallen off a wall in the playground and banged her head. It still looks nasty but luckily its nearly all grazing rather than a bang. So my wife went and half an hour later came back with both girls- it was as she expected longer than I could have sat without fleeing.
As well as the school runs the boy also started nursery this week which was an additional run- and a longer wait. That created more panic than usual but again I toughed it out. I've yet to go inside but got as far as the doors. He's loving it. Above his is plant project where he looks after a plant for 4 weeks and we track its progress. Its also led to a "guess the size" game when it comes time to measure. The boy is as informative as his sister when asked asked about his day though he is only three. Every time his reply is: I went down the slide and said "Weeeeee...".
As well as the drives the kids have been more interactive this week too. The oldest especially helping mum with the hoovering and little chores while mum still hobbles around in pain. And during the week helping me with yet another flatpack. She loves that kind of thing and I think she takes it after my dad- certainly not after me. So all in all its been good for the family this week but now a change because Easter break is here for two weeks and after that it will be like starting over again. All in all though I think the kids have enjoyed their week with dad- my dad gave them money on Friday to buy something from the shops and the oldest bought a packet of animal masks. A good week for all.
Labels:
Appreciation,
Kids,
Trying