Monday, 18 July 2016
The Horn
Travelling along the M8 from Glasgow to Edinburgh there are a number of roadside features to break up the monotony of motorway driving as there are on most UK major roads. One, now, in particular has meaning and that is "The Horn". Its one of those things you note but don't give much further thought to but now its a little different. Not that I was looking to find it. I was instead looking for something else and that just happened to be there. Its a sculpture of a horn some 80 feet high and at the end of a golf course. It just so happens that behind it is the M8 and at that height its a very visible feature. I was not looking for the horn or the golf course but the park both are located in.
Have I ever been to Polkemmet Country Park? That was what I asked myself and increasingly with age I am finding answers to questions from the past are not forthcoming as quickly as they once were. More memories mean more to sift through and those childhood ones are away at the bottom. West Lothian is where I was brought up and there are 3 major parks in the area. Almondell I have already covered and Beecraigs I have yet to return to but know I was definitely there as a child. It stands to reason that I probably did visit Polkemmet but when we went I was unsure.
We went there not for any reason other than a nosey and something different near at hand. I'd wanted to go to Beecraigs Country Park but we were pushed for time. On our travels along the road we'd seen the sign posts for Polkemmet so we decided to go there. I knew there was not a lot to it but I was eager to see if it sparked off any memories.
Polkemmet Coutry Park. Its not a big park. It has a great play park for the kids and at the centre an Owl Centre but the latter was a bit expensive we felt for a family.There was a nice woodland walk following a stream and a nice little bridge across it. We walked for miles and finally ended at "The Horn". Its an impressive structure for sure but once at it there is not a lot more you can can do once you have looked at it.
And that seemed to be that. There were a couple of things which were vaguely familiar but not enough to suggest I had definitely been there. I was unconvinced. As fine as it was there was not enough there to give me any desire to return. I did like seeing wild poppies though. I don't get them around my way or if I do I have missed them. We were walked back a different way when we came across what looked like a mini pavillion at first glance. As we got closer and saw the inscriptions it was clear it was a mausoleum- later research tells me its 100 years old which is fairly recent. It was though walking around this that suddenly I had a memory of the past. Not clear but I had definitely been here before. And that realisation seemed to allow other memories to come forward by association. Yes, I'd been at this park before in my pre-teens with the school or the summer clubs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment